Camera reviews, techniques and equipments for all you beginner, novice and amateur photographers. Why you say? Well I started photography in 2005 and still learning the traits. So whatever that I write or post here are basically novice style. So if you are looking the advanced technical stuffs or professional techniques that you can find in photography magazines, well..... not HERE!!!!! Besides beginners and novices make the bulk of all the photography community. We need those simple and clear examples in using a camera. Ok lets get started. I be writing more on Nikon, Epson, Tokina, Sigma and a bit of Canon (hehe my wife using G10) cos I am using them and loving it. So sit down......relaxed yourself....have a sip..... and enjoy this blog. Oh ya..... feel free to comment or contributes on your thoughts and experiences here since all of us are learning Photography...
All images posted here are (C)2009-2011 Sohfian Mohamed Kamari unless otherwise stated.

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Tip to protect your lens while on outfield

It's always frustrating when you go on a shooting trip and your camera lens failed you. It is also important that when you return home to do a bit of cleaning of your equipments before you store them. As for me I had to learn the hard way by having one of my lens spoilt. My kit lens 18-55mm started to malfunction a day before my honeymoon trip!! It was my darkest day of my photography life. I was resorted to bring my 50mm and my 50-200mm. Another lens has a spec of dust stuck in the lens. And the dust is really big with no way I can take it out without a professional technician.

The good thing is that buying magazines monthly helps you to learn more about cameras. The bad thing is that not putting into practise of what you learn. I go thru both........Sadly I am unable to use my kit lens anymore.

Tip No 1.
Remember to switch to manual focus for your lens or camera(if they have any) before putting them into your bag. That was exactly what happen to my lens. My lens' rotary hook(I don't know what's the technical term is) to move my focusing snapped when I try to quickly take out the camera out of the bag!!!! The lens totally burst.. I can't even manual focus cos it will just mve by itself. And that feels sucks since I only have three lens. I face a difficult task of unable to take any wide angle shot.

Tip No 2.
Try to protect the lens by using a filter. Normally you use a skylight or a U.V. filter as it doesn't change the quality of your image. And usually this filter are quite cheap. I got one from Tokina at SGD17 for a 67mm. The filter will helps to protect your lens from dust or moist touching your lens. At least when you accidently scratched the glass when whipping the dust or any moist off. In worst senario, a very small flying stone hit your lens as it helps to prevent hitting directly to your glass lens. Besides changing a filter is far more cheaper than getting a new lens. Especially if you don't earn that much for a living.

Tip No 3
Its always good to clean you lens and the rest of you equipment after a shooting trip as this will help maintain the condition of your equipments. Use a micro fibre cloth or pre-moistened cloth to clean your equipments. A great tip I learn is that especially when you take sunset(by the sea) or sea sports is that micro salt will start to develop at ur equipment after while by the sea. This is very critical as it is difficult to clean it when it start to crystallise on your lens glass. It is also be dangerous with its start to go thru all the small corners of your equipments. Don't say I didnt warn you as it happens to my lens and luckily I got my filter to protect it. Imagine if you put your camera in your drybox without cleaning it, the salt crystal starts to hardened. You got to go to a professional to clean it. And if you are in doubt, send it for servicing. It is still be cheaper.

So thats the few tips that I have learn, and will share with you more once I find more info.
Thanks for reading. Enjoy shooting

No comments:

Post a Comment